Tattoo

Monday, January 24, 2011

Chef Tattoos

It’s not hard to mistake Top Chef with LA Ink, considering both shows are heavy on the tattoos and cheese. It almost seems like high-end NY eateries require full sleeves for a souffle.



Taking a look at the art of chef tattoos is Zagat’s Tattoo Tell-All series.

Aside from the use of “tats” and my usual pet peeve of not naming the tattoo artists behind the work, it’s a good read–particularly the “Ink Insight” section addressing the why question.

Here are some quotes to give you a taste:

“There are a lot of tattooed punk-rock kids in the kitchen because it
has punk-rock energy. If you’re a banker giving out million-dollar
loans, you can’t have a tattoo on your hand, but it’s funny that someone
tattooed, like Nate Appleman, might have a great
career, but some people wouldn’t want to sit next to him on the subway.”
– Jamie Bissonnette, Coppa
and Toro

“Maybe chefs like tats because we are always burning our arms? I’ve
never gotten one to cover a burn but I’ve gotten burned on top of my
tattoos. Gives it a three-dimensional look.”
– Seamus Mullen, Boqueria
[shown right]

“I consider tattoos [to be] art like cooking is an art. My tattoos don’t
scream, ‘look at me, I’m a chef!’ I just like to create little things
that send little messages about who I am as a person. I do the same
thing when I cook.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tattoo
Arts   blogs Arts Blogs - Blog   Rankings Arts Blogs Turuk Tattoo Turuk Tattoo Arts (Blogs) -   TOP.ORG Google Pagerank Powered by  MyPagerank.Net Yahoo bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net Msn bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net Arts Top BlogsArts Blogs Jewelry Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Free SEO ToolsSubmit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free!